Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween 2017- My Little Pony Equestria Girls, Twilight Sparkle, "Pony Up"







So I made a deal with my 6 year old (she was 5 at the time, I think); that every other year I would make her costume, alternating with buying one. This year I get to make it. I was excited because I think my Ice Dragon costume turned out so cool. That was Halloween 2015, right after we moved to Texas. I need more experience, to be sure. I don't get to sew much, but I love creating stuff! (Which reminds me that I need to get a picture from my sister-in-law of my first-ever jean quilt I made for my niece.)

This year, my girl decided she wanted to be Princess Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony Equestria Girls, when she "ponies up." If you have a young child, you may have an idea of what I'm talking about. It has been a pain in the ass to try and find tutorials to help me with each piece off the costume. I found a lot of ideas on Pinterest. Though, mostly, I just had to "wing it." But, damn, I'm pretty proud of what I've done!

I took the girl to Joann's so she could pick out the fabrics for her costume. I've tried to keep her involved as much as I could. But, honestly, how much can a 6-year-old REALLY help?

Question: Do you ever get into a project and think that it probably would have been cheaper to just buy the thing (costume), instead of making it? After supplies and time? I'm almost positive it would have been cheaper to buy the stupid thing! But I'm having fun.

I kept having ideas and stuff, just to have my daughter have her own ideas of how she wanted things done. Perfect example is what the skirt was made out of: shiny, stretchy crap and shiny, super thin, non- flexible crap that has been just a nightmare to work with! Especially for a box pleated skirt that is supposed to have the pleats line up well enough for a divided applique. I'm pretty sure the type of fabric also has been the cause of some really irritating, time-consuming sewing machine issues. REALLY irritating!

I have been able to learn a lot this sewing go-'round. I've practically read the entirety of my sewing machine's manual. Also, I got to try some new sewing/craft supplies, which added to the overall cost, as well. And I've learned, the hard way, that if you plan on using a stitch which, by nature of the stitch, is incredibly difficult to remove once sewn, you need to double and triple check that shit to make sure you're sewing the pieces together the RIGHT WAY! I had to painstakingly pull entire seams several times.

Another thing I picked up is that I should probably learn how to read fabric patterns and learn the sewing/crafting lingo. That may have helped a bit. And lastly, just like woodworking, "measure twice, cut once!" This costume will grow with her still, but it's a little more snug than I was hoping for.

Alright. Below is my project. I apologize for it being kinda heavy with pictures. I'm new to the whole blogging thing and I didn't know if anyone would find this interesting. I don't do videos (...yet?), but I seem to always appreciate other blogs that have a lot of information to help me out (kinda like this one). Also, I (and my hubby) tend to forget to take pictures of something until a lot later than I should have thought of it. It's made for a few lost memories of cool things. As you can see, I'm trying to get better at this. If you have questions, I'll try to get to them. But no promises. I'm just being honest. That is, if anyone actually finds this blog and thinks I did well enough that I could maybe, possibly help them...

Enjoy!





























                          


             

























                    






 
































                   






                          





















                                       





No comments:

Post a Comment