Friday, November 10, 2017

Ongoing Tropical Plants

I figured that I'd make a new post, instead of constantly updating the same older post, on the progress of my fruit plants. To overview, I've started planting avocados, mangoes, and pineapple. In the future, I will be planting more varieties of seeds, such as apples, peaches, nectarines, etc.

I have many seeds in the refrigerator right now. I read on several online posts, such as this one, on the subject that certain fruit trees need "chill hours" even as seeds (stratification). This mimics nature in a fruit falling off the tree in the summer, either being eaten or not, laying on the ground being left alone, and sitting out a winter.

The cold actually activates the "growing signal" in the seed, which tells the seeds to come out of dormancy and start it's life cycle (again, STRATIFICATION). I attempted to grow nectarines previously without chilling, and it failed. And since it doesn't get cold enough for long enough here in Houston, leaving them in a refrigerator for a couple months gets the job done, allegedly. We'll see once I actually try it.

But for now, here is an update on the pits, seeds, and cuttings that I have ready. These pictures were taken the other day. I just didn't have a chance to post them until now. Enjoy.

November 5, 2017 Plant Update: Planting and Transplanting- (for previous post, click here.


I had a pot full of unplanted avocado pits and mango seeds. 
Before


After

20 new avocado pits and 3 mango seeds planted. 4 avocado seedlings transplanted into the big pots. I need more pots and potting soil. I have 5 or 6 more avocados and 2 or 3 mangos ready to go in the bigger pots. Also, I seriously need to build a little greenhouse soon!


These are my indoor (for now) plants: 1 avocado pit that was sprouting in the avocado, 1 mango that I thought I'd try sprouting in a bag again (not going well... I had 3, had to toss 2, and the third isn't looking well... straight to dirt is better), and 1 new pineapple.

This little guy was cracking and sprouting already when I opened the avocado. I didn't have the time to put him straight in dirt, so I put him in some water. I'll be doing that soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment